DENTIST IN FT LAUDERDALE AND LIGHTHOUSE POINT OFFERS DENTAL IMPLANTS
Florida Smiles Dental, with offices in Ft. Lauderdale and Lighthouse Point, Florida, provides many dental services, including the following:
- General Dentistry
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Children’s Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry
- Orthodontics, including braces and Invisalign
- Teeth Whitening
- Wisdom Teeth Extraction
- Porcelain Veneers
- Root Canal Therapy
- Periodontal Therapy
- Dental Implants
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. There are two types of dental implants:
- Endosteal (in the bone): This is the most commonly used type of implant. The various types include screws, cylinders or blades surgically placed into the jawbone. Each implant holds one or more prosthetic teeth. This type of implant is generally used as an alternative for patients with bridges or removable dentures.
- Subperiosteal (on the bone): These are placed on top of the jaw with the metal framework’s posts protruding through the gum to hold the prosthesis. These types of implants are used for patients who are unable to wear conventional dentures and who have minimal bone height.
Dental Implants are the most dentist-recommended solution to replace missing teeth caused by accidents, decay, periodontal disease or other causes, if the patient qualifies. Advantages of dental implants over other options, like fixed bridges or removable partial dentures are:
- Implants are most similar to the natural tooth.
- Adjacent or nearby teeth do not have to be involved in the placement procedure.
- Implants can last for decades, sometimes a lifetime.
- Implants can help prevent shrinkage of the jaw bone from tooth loss.
Placing dental implants requires a surgical procedure in which precision channels are created in the jawbone, often using a surgical guide. The implants are then fitted into the sites so that they are in intimate contact with the bone. They generally require two to six months to fuse to the bone before they can have tooth restorations attached to them to complete the process.
Who qualifies for dental implants?
The ideal candidate for a dental implant is in good general and oral health. Adequate bone in your jaw is needed to support the implant, and the best candidates have healthy gum tissues that are free of periodontal disease.
Dental implants are intimately connected with the gum tissues and underlying bone in the mouth. The periodontists at Florida Smiles Dental are the dental experts who specialize in precisely these areas and they are ideal members of your dental implant team. Not only do periodontists have experience working with other dental professionals, they also have the special knowledge, training and facilities that you need to have teeth that look and feel just like your own. Your dentist and periodontist will work together to make your dreams come true.
The dentists at Florida Smiles in Ft. Lauderdale and Lighthouse Point can determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants.
If you are interested in learning more about dental implants, contact Florida Smiles Dental in Ft. Lauderdale. They can provide more details as to the procedure and what to expect, as well as determine if you qualify for dental implants.
Florida Smiles serves patients in Ft. Lauderdale, Weston, Hollywood, Pompano Beach, and the surrounding Florida communities. Call Florida Smiles Dental in Ft. Lauderdale at (954) 504-9758, or in Lighthouse Point at (954) 906-7891 to inquire or make an appointment.